quarta-feira, 1 de abril de 2015

Is Uncle Alice - really the mr nice guy of '70's?



1974 - The man with a girl's name, Alice Cooper rocked us through the early 70's ERA with incredible hits. This charming collection gathers Cooper's hits from 1971-1974, most of which achieved big radio play in their time, and can still be heard on the classic rock stations of today. All the selections are exceptional, such anthems as "I'm Eighteen," "School's Out," and "No More Mr. Nice Guy" are unquestionably among the finest hard rock tracks of all time. 






Track Listings


1. I'm Eighteen
2. Is It My Body
3. Desperado
4. Under My Wheels
5. Be My Lover
6. School's Out
7. Hello Hooray
8. Elected
9. No More Mr. Nice Guy
10. Billion Dollar Babies
11. Teenage Lament '74
12. Muscle of Love



Miss Piggy

Salvador Dalí



SCHOOL OUT (1972)

Well we got no choice
All the girls and boys
Makin all that noise
'Cause they found new toys
Well we can't salute ya
Can't find a flag
If that don't suit ya
That's a drag

School's out for summer
School's out forever
School's been blown to pieces

No more pencils
No more books
No more teacher's dirty looks

Well we got no class
And we got no principles
And we got no innocence
We can't even think of a word that rhymes





Burt Bacharach





I'm Eighteen (1970)

Lines form on my face and hands
Lines form from the ups and downs
I'm in the middle without any plans
I'm a boy and I'm a man

I'm eighteen
And I don't know what I want
Eighteen
I just don't know what I want
Eighteen
I gotta get away
I gotta get out of this place
I'll go runnin' in outer space
Oh yeah

I got a
Baby's brain and an old man's heart
Took eighteen years to get this far
Don't always know what I'm talkin' about
Feels like I'm livin' in the middle of doubt
'Cause I'm



Andy Warhol

Alice: "When you're in front of an audience and you start one of those (old) songs, and I always tell the band when we're learning those songs, we're not going to do a new version of those songs. I hate to go see the Rolling Stones and see them do a reggae version of "Brown Sugar". I want to hear the song the way the record is, so that is how we do it, we absolutely do it like the record, and when you have an audience screaming for more and they hear the opening chords to this song and they go crazy, it's impossible to get tired of it. You just can't..."


Alice: 1973 "The basic plan was to release the Billion Dollar Babies album followed by a swift, hard tour across the country, playing as many dates in the largest halls in as short a time as possible."

The logistics are staggering: forty tons of equipment and supplies including a giant dentist's drill, six whips and hatchets, three hundred baby dolls and fifty-nine mannequins for Alice to ritualistically hack to death and dismember, plus twenty live mice weekly to feed a boa constrictor and 140 cases of Seagram's VO, most of it swilled by Alice.

The band travel in AC-1, a chartered F-27 Lockheed Electra with a snake in the shape of dollar sign painted on the tail. The cabin sports a blackjack table, the walls papered with centerfolds, the cocktail napkins emblazoned "FLY ME, I'M ALICE".




And it was only when the big screen scrolled through a bunch of vintage live footage that you realised just how much the American music industry had tried to forget him, because the best of the clips were all European: "I'm Eighteen" from Germany's Beat Club, "Under My Wheels" from the Old Grey Whistle Test, "School's Out" from Top Of The Pops.

Liza Minelli
Vincent Price


The band played "I'm Eighteen" live on the German television show Beat-Club in 1972. Cooper appeared on the floor in a Wonder Woman t-shirt gripping a whiskey bottle. During an extended intro, Cooper declares "I ain't twenty-one", then "twenty-two" and on until "twenty-five" before the band delivers an aggressive, heavily distorted performance of the song








School's Out is the fifth studio album by Alice Cooper, released in 1972.

SCHOOL'S OUT was the album that put the Alice Cooper Group way over the top

The original album cover (designed by Craig Braun) had the sleeve opening in the manner of an old school desk. The vinyl record inside was wrapped in a pair of girl's panties





The amazing 1971 meeting is just one episode from a remarkable life that has seen Alice match hellraisers The Who’s Keith Moon and The Doors’ Jim Morrison drink for drink (he survived, they didn’t).


“There was only one rule at our club”, he says, “Out-drink the other members and be the last man standing – which wasn’t easy with Keith Moon around.” He adds: “We had an alcove at the Rainbow Bar in Los Angeles. Me, Keith Moon, Micky Dolenz, Ringo Starr and John Lennon whenever he’d had a fight with Yoko.

“Those guys could drink. When you party with Keith Moon your body really knows about it – one time he stayed with me for a week, and I literally wasn’t allowed to sleep for seven days.

Groucho Marx



Muscle of Love released in 1973, was the last album for Alice Cooper as a band.

 "Teenage Lament '74" was clearly a hit and several of the songs had strong FM radio potential.












 It's a shame though that this album marked the end of the Alice Cooper Group (Glen Buxton, Michael Bruce, Dennis Dunnaway & Neal Smith)










John Lennon said his favorite song was "Elected"